Friday, February 7, 2014

Sickly!

Woke up today with a fever of 101.1, oh the joys of being sick.  At least it has gone down now and I should at least be decent enough to work tomorrow, should be a short shift anyway (as long as my nose and throat can handle it). That's the tricky part about being in the restaurant business. You can't really call in, you should because you don't want to get people sick, but there also needs to be enough servers to handle the amount of guests that arrive on any particular day so what can you do? Guess I'll wash my hands verrrry often!  At any rate, I hope I'm not too contagious and the time passes quickly, then I'll have at least another full day of recovery before I need to be back.

While I was sick today I missed my mom and dad. I missed the way they used to take care of me, the way my mom used to notice my cough before I did. Parents are people who really know you and notice you, the way only family can.  There's something special about being babied when you aren't feeling well, as if it is one of the only times it is acceptable to be unacceptable. I don't care how my hair looks, if I'm wearing make-up, or if I sniffle only because I don't feel like getting up for a 100th time to blow my nose.  It isn't the same without them, but that doesn't mean I don't still have my moments of being babied. I have my sister, I have Nick, and I have myself.

Nick got out of bed a little early this morning to make sure he could run to the store and get me medicine before he went to work, which helped immensely as I felt like I was on the verge of death when I got out of bed.  I took the medicine immediately and fell asleep for a few hours (with Athena on my chest of course) and by the time I woke up I was able to breath again, yay me!

I spent the rest of the day babying myself.  I got some old fashioned chicken and stars soup, and watched Pocahontas.  When we were younger and my sister and I didn't feel good we would watch movies. We watched a lot of movies in general but would usually get bored pretty quickly. This is where my organization skills began (though they aren't nearly as developed as Heather's).

We used to go through all of the movies we owned and we would each pick out the ones we wanted to watch.  Then we would usually pick out the ones each of us wanted to watch first, starting with ones we both really wanted to watch.  Then we would take one of my dads cowboy hats, write down the names of all the movies on little slips of paper, and pick them out of the hat. Sometimes we had as many as nine or ten movies to watch, as if we could watch all of the movies in one day.  We would eventually get bored halfway through the first or second movie and move onto another activity and I wouldn't be surprised if we spent more time picking out the movies than we did watching them.

Still makes me feel good watching what some may consider 'childish' movies... I believe that a lot of the lessons are just as significant in adult life as they were in childhood.  It made me feel better anyway, perhaps Sunday I'll have a Harry Potter marathon or something, we'll see.

Anyway, not a long post today, but at least it's something. Gotta kick this bug before our trip to Tinysota! (Minnesota, hahahaha I crack myself up).

This also cracks me up. He truly is hilarious....yet philosophical. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow, maybe I'll have to write more to let you know! For now it is off to drink some tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment