Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Curiouser and Curiouser

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."


-The Walrus and the Carpenter (from Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There) by Lewis Carroll
  

I was so very excited to finish a first draft of my poetry collection, but now of course the last few weeks I have found it very difficult to sit back down and edit it.

Why is it so easy to get distracted from writing, even if I know I want to write? 

There are several poems in my collection that I have already edited numerous times, and yet I can read through one and still put a comma back in where I have taken it out several times before. The poems that were still very rough I now read through and as I edit I am essentially rewriting them. 

It's also daunting to dive into writing about things that are still difficult to fully face - grief and loss and depression and all that.

On the bright side it is still a different kind of torment then denying a dream. It's a more rewarding torture than working at a job just for a paycheck. 

I do enjoy my 'day' job so much more now because I have more control over what I do. I like who I work for and that makes a difference. So I'm willing to work harder and work even when I don't feel like it. It's always good to remind ourselves that we do have choices in how we live our lives. When we make sacrifices we have to remember why we are making them. 

I am missing my little sister a lot too. So that is hard sometimes. 

Life goes on though! I am excited that spring is here and it has been so nice out.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment