There are some traumas you can’t recover from, no matter the
amount of therapy. Ever since I
was a child I have endured family disaster after family disaster. My family is far from perfect, but
sometimes I wonder how it would have been if things were different. If wishes
were fishes, ya know?
What if mom had never gotten cancer?
What if I never found out about my ½ brother, Ryan?
What if mom didn’t have to fight depression?
I have so many questions, answers I’ll never know.
I remember the paper I wrote about the day I found out my
mom had cancer. The teacher, who I don’t think liked me all that much, made a
point about this paper and how it moved
her to tears, and I was really proud of myself. I didn’t know; back then, that less than ten years later I
would write a paper about the day my mother died. I am proud of these papers not only because I aced them, but
because they really meant something to me. Both of those papers moved people to tears, as my mother majestically
moves my inspiration towards positivity.
To me, writing is the most intimate way to emotionally move
someone. Literature. It is so important to me,
documentation. Writing. Journals
especially. Journals and diaries are tools some of us use to de-cloud our
brains, very important. We
manipulate words into beautiful pieces of art. I appreciate and value words and the way they fit together,
depending on where you put them.
It’s all up to you. You are
an architect of a cathedral of words where you store secrets and desires and
fears. Once you put those words on
paper you can manipulate them, and eventually you can teach yourself to not
only manipulate your words but also manipulate your thoughts.
It’s techniques such as these that allow writers to
function. It’s a skill some people are born with and a skill some of us develop
as a coping mechanism. The thoughts in my head are transported to paper, like
musicians manipulate notes into beautiful music my ears eat up like a pastry from
my favorite pastry shop. If you
don’t have a favorite pastry shop then you don’t know what I mean (and you
should get one). Everyone copes in
different ways. I have found my passion and I enjoy indulging in the passions
of others.
How long people wish to find a light in the darkness. How difficult it can be with the past
consistently looming in the corner, creeping in at night to suck away the light
that lingers.
“The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.”
― Jess C. Scott The Darker Side of Life
― Jess C. Scott The Darker Side of Life
My mother was on the higher end of the brightness scale.
The brightest and darkest light
signals the eye is capable of sensing span across nine orders of magnitude, a
factor of roughly one billion apart. Because the eye can only sense a contrast
ratio of one thousand it adapts its definition of what is black. The light level that is considered
“black” spans across six orders of magnitude, a factor of one million.
~ Our eyes are capable of sensing light in almost complete
darkness. This is amazing. We can adjust to extreme measures.
It takes approximately 20-30
minutes for eyes to adjust from bright sunlight to complete darkness, becoming
ten thousand to one million times more sensitive than at full daylight.
~It takes time.
Adjusting from light to dark takes time. It’s a process. You aren’t going to be able to see in the
dark right away, you have to allow yourself time to adapt.
The Purkinje effect takes place
during this process, changing the eye’s perception of color.
~There is consequence to every action. We can’t just plunge
into darkness without any consequence.
Something must be sacrificed, a little part of our reality, a little
part of us.
It only takes the eye approximately
five minutes to adapt from darkness to bright sunlight.
~Darkness is a slow, grueling process to adapt to, but we
can adapt if we must. Light is
easier, sight is a sense we often take for granted.
I understand this is very basic. Maybe not even the entirely
correct terminology or phrasing, but the general concept is here, and it’s an
event that is systematic.
“…And when you sense a faint potentiality for happiness
after such dark times you must grab onto the ankles of that happiness and not
let go until it drags you face-first out of the dirt-this is not selfishness,
but obligation. You were given life; it is your duty to find something
beautiful within life no matter how slight.”
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
― Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
My sister and I, we will be okay. Due to circumstance we have been given a unique view of the
world. Together we will adapt and together we will grow. Our scars will never fully heal, but we
are true artists and will cover those scars with magnificent tattoos over
time. We are fighters. We have
more love for each other than any depression could elude. We are completely
judge free, for I can’t conceptualize a situation where I wouldn’t support my
sister.
“I don't know how to stop the atrocities. I don't know how
to make people care. But looking into my sister's eyes, we seem to have carved
out something between us that none of the madness can touch. Invisible
threads.”
― Lisa Shannon, A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
― Lisa Shannon, A Thousand Sisters: My Journey into the Worst Place on Earth to Be a Woman
“Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as
spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but
not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy—the
experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to
explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
― Brené Brown
― Brené Brown
No comments:
Post a Comment